Do You Know How Often You Should Give Your Car a Tune Up?
Before we are in the middle of winter and all of its hazards, give a little attention to your vehicle with a tune-up. Schedule a diagnostic service at your auto shop. This should include an inspection of the engine, an analysis of the overall performance of your vehicle, and possibly some needed adjustments to critical operating systems.
So, do you know how often you should give your car a tune-up? Intervals for a car tune-up vary from one type of vehicle to another. Most older vehicles have non-electronic ignitions and need a tune-up every 10,000-12,000 miles, or every year, whichever comes first. However, newer cars with electronic ignitions and fuel injection systems only require a tune-up anywhere from 25,000 up to 100,000 miles.
Even if your car seems to be running fine, it is still good to periodically check to see if your vehicle is working at its highest efficiency level. It could be gradually losing some of its power and performance capabilities without you noticing.
Check your owner’s manual for the recommended interval for tune-ups for your specific vehicle. The tune-up checklist and maintenance items are based on your vehicle’s age, mileage, and unique manufacturer recommendations. Generally, here is what you can expect from a tune-up service:
- Spark plugs—
- An engine in good condition should have spark plugs with a light tan or gray insulator firing noses.
- Test the performance by noting the color of the spark and if it is properly igniting the fuel.
- The wires should not be hard or cracked.
- Fuel pump and filter—make sure the pump is functioning correctly, and the filter is clean.
- Fuel injectors—make sure that dirt or other deposits are not restricting the amount of fuel delivered to the engine and that there is no buildup affecting the efficiency of the spark plugs.
- Timing—The engine timing and idle can be adjusted as necessary.
- PCV—it should not be clogged or leaking.
- Points and condenser—Check to make sure they remain clean.
To learn more about how often you should give your car a tune-up, contact our ASE-Certified Technicians at B & L Auto Service and Toledo Tire and Auto Care, for more diagnostic services and schedule an appointment. Our auto shop is proud to serve vehicle owners in Whitehouse, OH, and the surrounding areas.